Louisville, KY 40203
Salary: $14.00 to $16.00 /hour
General Position Description:
Clinical testing personnel are responsible for accurately performing testing of patient samples and reporting results. Technicians adhere to the clinical laboratory’s quality control policies, documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed in accordance with the clinical laboratory’s approval policies and procedures. The clinical testing personnel shall perform tests and procedures of moderate complexity under supervision as defined in CLIA. Clinical laboratory technician technologist responsibilities are in accordance with CLIA regulations, Subpart M—Personnel and Part 493- Laboratory Requirements and any state requirements that may apply. In addition, adherence to all accreditation policies and guidelines pertaining to the laboratory.
· Performs only those tests authorized by the director
· Follows the clinical laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results
· Maintains records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens
· Adheres to the clinical laboratory’s quality control policies, documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed in accordance with the clinical laboratory’s approval policies and procedures
· Follows the clinical laboratory’s established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the clinical laboratory’s defined acceptable levels of performance
· Is capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problems or immediately notify a supervisor or director
· Documents all corrective action taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications
· Exercises professional judgment in evaluation, specimen integrity, result accuracy and inter-result validity and takes corrective action as necessary. Such corrective action shall include specimen rejection, recollection, and/or retesting using the same or alternate methods and/or utilizes other skills associated with the practice of clinical laboratory science to ensure validity and accuracy of testing at all times taking care not to compromise patient care with excessive rejections, recollections or delays. If in their judgment a specimen is compromised, the technologist shall include an appropriate disclaimer statement in the report indicating the potential compromised nature of the result and why.
· Participate in proficiency testing samples and ensure that these samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens
- Performs patient testing on specimens submitted to the laboratory for toxicology using the screening analyzer.
- Understands and follows all OSHA and Bloodborne Pathogen guidelines
- Participate in laboratory training programs
- Utilizes job knowledge, judgment, and problem solving skills to ensure quality of work
- Communicates effectively at all levels within the laboratory and with laboratory clients verbally and in writing.
- Performs all responsibilities with a collegial manner and as a team member
- Reports to the Technical Consultant.